MIDDLE SCHOOL PHILOSOPHY– Recognizing the unique developmental needs of the middle level student, the WIAA promotes activities that build student success through active participation, increased skillbuilding, and positive sportsmanship.
- Emphasize participation over win/loss records
- Provide opportunities for everyone to participate
- Balance competition with cooperation
- Encourage lifelong participation in activities
- Emphasize having fun
- Develop age appropriate skills
- Focus on fundamentals
- Develop skills as a foundation for improvement
- Develop a positive team attitude
- Encourage, cooperate and collaborate with peers
- Present positive adult role models that demonstrate self control and (mutual) respect
Middle School Coaches Shall Understand
- Students have varying levels of ability, and coaches need to present a developmentally appropriate program for students.
- Positive encouragement is the strongest tool for learning.
- Coaches should provide a safe environment for kids to “risk” and grow.
- Activities should be meaningful and fun.
- Fundamentals and practice are the building blocks for a successful athlete.
- Coaches are key role models.
- Every team member’s responsibility is to encourage one another.
- Today’s superstar could be tomorrow’s bench warmer and vice versa.
- The importance of commitment and responsibility are stressed.